- Spend a moment quieting you mind. Focus on your breath--breathe in God's love and exhale gratitude. Continue this pattern until the distractions and worries of the day no longer dominate your attention.
- Ponder the following Scripture verse--do not analyze or think about it, just be with it and pay attention to any feelings that arise; do not judge them, just notice them.
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me." (Galatians 2:19-20)
- Think of yourself. What comes to mind? Who and what does this "I" refer to? Is it your physical form? The beliefs you have? The relationships you are in?
- Slowly read the Scripture verse again. What part of you endures or feels permanent? How do you know it's there?
- Prayerfully read the Scripture verse a third time. Is there any part of you that does not rely on something else?
- Prayerfully read this Scripture verse a final time, but imagine reading it to Jesus. What question do you have for him? Who does he say you are? What insights does he share with you about who you truly are? Does this surprise you? Confuse you? Scare you? Share your feelings with him
- Thank God for this time you have spent with him and close by praying a simple Amen.